Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Show Me Your Mailbox

Folks,

Anybody ever built their own mailbox? My mailbox is in need of a makeover. If you've built your own mailbox, if you could post some pics of it on this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. Need to get some ideas.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

My FIL takes standard white metal mailboxes and mocks them up to look like little mail trucks. Very slick idea... I'll try to get a pic of one and put it up here.

Comment

• Greg.B
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Joppa, Maryland
      • Ryobi BT3100

Mine is of the stone type to match my house. Built by pouring a footer, then cinder block, then covered with facing stone.
      Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I built mine as close to "Nahm's" as I could. http://www.newyankee.com/Yankees/alprestonlane.jpg
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

All Cedar, assembled with Gorilla glue, and finished with Helmsman Spar Urethane. The numbers were freehand routed.

From a mailman's point of view, if you are going to cover the box with wood leave the door original. Wood faces on the door add too much weight and make them hard to close.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

At my first house the mailbox was a metal one that was looking the worse for wear. I glued some treated lathe to the outside and then stained the lathe. It looked better than I thought it would.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...