• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wwday3
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Eagle, ID, USA.

Wood storage

I need some input/ideas regarding wood storage in my garage/shop. Right now I am contending with a "pile" of rustic planks and slabs roughly 2' high and 5+' wide (the size of the pile, that is). When I want to use one it's very difficult to locate it that pile (they are all different sizes and lengths), and when I do find what I want, I have to move boards out of the garage, get the one I want, and then precariously re-stack what I moved.

My garage is a 3-car, with one of the bays reverved as my shop area. It is isolated from the rest of the garage by a full length open storage unit with shelves sized for those 2x3 flip-top storage boxes. No room is available inside the shelving unit, but since I originally built it out of 2x4's and plywood, it could be added onto on the side.

My thoughts run along the lines of the shelf units they have at HD or Lowe's - the big, open steel shelf supports that have a slight rise to them so nothing can slide or roll forward. But, of course, that's not very realistic. I first considered building similar shelf support brackets out of 2x4's - it would look like a 2' 2x4 sticking straight out of the "wall" with a 45 degree brace under it. But that seemed somewhat precarious to me since there would be no support on the side or front.

Later I considered building something really open using either steel pipe or 1-1/2 inch PVC. I think a 2' or 3' piece of 1-1/2 inch PVC could hold quite a bit of weight, but I don't know for sure. Both of these options include some very handy connectors and would be simple to construct. But, they would not be very adjustable, and I can't think how to put them together without having some kind of bracing on the front.

So, maybe some of you can provide some ideas. I need to have the unit as open as possible - it would be nice to be able to load a long piece of wood into the front rather than from the side. Adjustability would be nice as well. And, it can't be any deeper than 3 feet, or it might not be worth the trouble.

Anyone?
    Two wrongs do not make a right, but three rights do make a left.
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

I built a mobile storage cart - http://people.clemson.edu/~weaver3/i...d_projects.htm
    See last photo.
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Trintron makes a wall mounted system that is supposed to be good. Check Rockler or Woodcraft.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• vinht
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • North Andover, MA, USA.

Wally,

I built a small version of Bob Key's lumber storage. I used 2x3's to keep cost down to a minimum. It's rock solid and cheaper than buying shelf supports or a whole commercial system. Although, there are certainly less expensive DIY alternatives as well.

http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/woodrack.htm
        http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/rack.htm

By the way, mine attaches to a wall unlike Bob's freestanding rack. I can post a picture later if you want to see it.

Vinh
        A Woodworker\'s Journey
        http://vinht.home.comcast.net

Comment

• Jim Boyd
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

I used black pipe on mine with a piece of pvc slipped over it to keep from staining the wood. Be sure to put something else besides just 1 1/2" pvc because you will end up under the boards when it falls down[:0]

I found several pics around showing the holes for the pipe just drilled into the 2x4 studs. Allowances were made to make sure the top of the studs were secure to the top plate. When I framed in my pole barn my studs run horizontally so I made sure to use the biggest timber I could get, some 4x6 p.t. beams. I made a jig to hold the drill at a 10 degree angle when I drilled the holes and a long 2x4 layed out so the holes would be in the same horizontal line. This thing is not going any where!
          I had seen the rack that Vinh linked to but did not go with it because of floor space foot print. Plus the boards in the middle are a pain to sort through. The home made brackets on that rack can make a very good unit if you can secure them to the studs in the wall. Easy to do unless you have finised walls.
          Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Another tip is to measure each board and write the length and (less important) the width on the ends. That way when they're at the bottom of a stack you don't have to dig them all out only to find that it's too short.
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• vinht
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • North Andover, MA, USA.

Here are pics of my Bob Key's inspired lumber storage. Not too big but perfect for my needs. As you can see I have plenty of room for more lumber (still hoping for some free wood to show up at my door step). Although I have little lumber to show all the wood was scattered through out the shop in various piles which made it cluttered and disorganized. The rack sits on a corner workspace that was rarely used. It attaches to the wall studs as well as the workspace below. It's great to have all my wood in one place now.

Anyone care to donate wood to a severely bare lumber rack?

<center></center>

<center></center>
              A Woodworker\'s Journey
              http://vinht.home.comcast.net

Comment

• wwday3
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2004
                • Eagle, ID, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Jim Boyd

I used black pipe on mine with a piece of pvc slipped over it to keep from staining the wood. Be sure to put something else besides just 1 1/2" pvc because you will end up under the boards when it falls down[:0]
                Jim, when you say black pipe, I assume you mean the kind they use for gas lines? 3/4"?

It would be possible for me to do something similar - sticking out from the side of my current storage unit. I considered drilling holes into the "stud" of that unit for pipes like yours (it would have to span the width of the unit - a pipe all the way through a stud attaching to a stud on the other side). What kept me from pursuing that was the thought of huge welts on the side of my head from bumping a pipe end. But, your idea of a PVC "cover" reduces that "headache".

Thanks for the idea

Comment

• wwday3
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Eagle, ID, USA.

quote:Originally posted by vinht

Here are pics of my Bob Key's inspired lumber storage.
                  Nice. It really kinda matches what I already have. My current storage unit looks very much like the part of yours that is attached to the wall (the part with the shelves). All I would really need to do is extend some braces outward from the unit, and I'd be all set. A 2x4 spanning the unit would probably work just fine. Thanks

By the way, *my* storage headache is because I have too much free wood. My brother-in-law has a cabin in the mountains a couple hours from where I live, and he buys a lot of wood from a small mill near there. The guy who runs the mill mostly cuts logs into huge beams. All his scraps go into a pit on his property, and when there is no fire season he just burns the wood in the pit. However, he lets us take anything we want out of the pit - and we've made quite a few trips to do so. Some of the "boards", although quite rough, are simply beautiful - it's amazing what a sander can uncover. And, since everything I make has a rustic feel to it (think lodge-style or southwestern), it suits me perfectly.

I'd send you some if I could.

Thanks again

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

[quote]quote:Originally posted by wwday3

Originally posted by Jim Boyd

It would be possible for me to do something similar - sticking out from the side of my current storage unit. I considered drilling holes into the "stud" of that unit for pipes like yours (it would have to span the width of the unit - a pipe all the way through a stud attaching to a stud on the other side). What kept me from pursuing that was the thought of huge welts on the side of my head from bumping a pipe end. But, your idea of a PVC "cover" reduces that "headache".

Thanks for the idea
                    Instead of PVC you might want to try foam plastic pipe insulation for your headache
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Valrico, Florida.

I use heavy duty shelving brackets and standards from HD. The long brackets are heavy steel and have two rows of holse. The standards have double hooks and are available in just about any length. Easy to install and very expandable. Just add new brackets and standards as necessary.

Bob

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                        • Delta Unisaw

"Jim, when you say black pipe, I assume you mean the kind they use for gas lines? 3/4"?

That is the stuff. Even with the covering it would give you a heck of a headache if you hit it.
                        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• DrChas
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Burlington, Vt, USA.

I just went to HD and bought the heavy guage industrial wall shelving. I lag bolted those into studs, and placed verticals 32 inches apart (every other stud). I used the long shelf brackets that have the hinged support under them. This didn't cost too much, took about an hour to put up, and its very strong. I couldn't justify the added cost of the "wood storage system". I figure I will keep it to under 500 lb per vertical, but I suspect it could take much more than that (something over a ton total).

Comment

• mehranh
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • San Francisco, CA, USA.

Next month Wood magazine is comming up with a plan for a nice wood storage system. It's on the back of the current issue. You may want to check it out.

Comment

Working...