• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Firestorm FS140LI

Picked up the Firestorm FS140LI at Lowes on a clearance sale for $45. It's the same as the Skil 2510-02.

I bought it for a back up drill/driver to try out. What I liked was it's small size and light weight. It comes with a small assortment of bits. I've used it for a few weeks, and was surprised on how long it retained a charge. It has sufficient drilling and driving power to seat screws in either hardwood or concrete. It performs as well as my 14.4V PC Drill/Hammerdrill. The physical dimensions of the tool and handle angle allows for good weight distribution.

The FWD/REV slide switch and the two speed slide switch are easy to manipulate and have a very positive feel. The trigger switch seems to have a slight delay in actuation, but that may be a quirk in this particular tool, possibly not with another tool.

One of my complaints are that the chuck sometimes loosens on its own. That may be from my not getting it tight enough. I have some problems with my hands and fingers, so it may not be the tool's fault. It's size and weight were one of the factors in selecting this particular tool.

My other complaint is the battery is not a swappable one in that when it needs a charge you just slide one out and slide a charged one in. The battery can be removed for exchanged. The documentation that came with the tool did not cover that portion of battery maintenance. It was also very unclear about the recharge time. So, after a few weeks, I allowed the battery to fully run down, and will be timing the recharge and post the results.
Working...