• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Don't Defeat The Safety

We use air tools that shoot things, like nails and staples. These can be lethal weapons, or to be more graphic like a shot in the eye, or maybe in a more private place.

There is an impulse to lock up the safety nose on the tip of the gun. I'll admit I've done it, and learned my lesson the hard way. For those that don't know about this mechanism, it moves upward to allow the tool to fire when the tip is pressed down (where you want the fastener to go). If you lock it up, the gun will fire by just pulling the trigger.

I've got several different types (and brands) of guns, and some are harder than others to depress to fire. Since I could be using a gun for long periods on a daily basis, that extra effort can be tiring. Holding parts to be fastened can be much easier without having to push the tip into the work. BUT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CHANGING IT.

I stopped that practice after shooting myself several times (yep...that's right). Of course, none of the times were fatal, and I have both eyes. So, I attribute that to dumb luck. Believe me, it's very easy to accidentally fire off a round or three, just by picking up the gun and touching the trigger, or in just handling. Always wear safety glasses when using air tools.
    Last edited by cabinetman; 08-29-2009, 03:06 AM.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I've shot myself a few times with both a finish nailer and a framing nailer. None of them were serious, just having a hand in the wrong place and the nail did something unexpected.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

Where I work, doing something like bypassing a safety will result in instantly being sent out the door with slim to no chance of returning. I guess that just carries on at home.
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I'm never in such a hurry as to consider bypassing a safety, but I have had nails change directions inside a board (from hitting a knot or following the grain) and shoot out the side. So I now take care not to hold a workpiece with my hand close enough to get in the "kill zone".

Comment

Working...